“The secret of getting ahead is getting started,” said the great American author, Mark Twain.
And the secret of getting started, we think, is having some inside information about how to go about it.
Before you pick up the phone to us about your next project, here are some pointers on how we achieve the most productive, dynamic and creative partnerships with our clients.
We look forward to working with you.
- Check us out. Give our clients, collaborators and stakeholders a call. If you understand our values, and they align with yours, we will make a formidable team.
- Is your project a Ferrari or a Holden? The clarity of your expectations provides the foundation for a successful project. The creative value of a building or place evolves from that shared vision.
- Do you share our view that designing the built environment, especially in cities, is a significant responsibility, and is vitally important to all aspects of our daily lives?
- Do you share our commitment to creating places and buildings that will inspire and delight?
- We want all our clients to enjoy the creative experience! With your positive attitude, we will partner with you to make the journey a pleasure and the final outcome a success.
- A place or building acquires a special meaning if your aspirations harmonise with those of the broader community. We passionately believe that interpreting site, climate, community, culture and social behaviour are all critical to designs that enhance their settings and reflect current social values and ideas.
- Our approach is one of partnership with our clients and investors in a valuable ongoing relationship. Are you happy to engage in challenging and stimulating dialogue?
- Encourage us to challenge preconceptions and conventions. (We are going to challenge yours!) For 40 years, we have been dedicated to the creation of design value. Using our knowledge and research, we come up with new ideas and technologies to provide better living, working, learning and health outcomes that add strategic value to projects.
- It’s not rocket science, but it’s close. Building and development projects are complex and the prospect can be daunting. We want you to understand that achieving the optimum design outcome for a project is a complex undertaking requiring a sensitive balance of considerations.
- Be prepared to invest the time it takes to create a successful project. Realistic expectations about your involvement (we’ll try to minimise the impact on your ‘real job’) and the ability to make decisions are what makes the process satisfying and outcomes outstanding.
- We know that people can come and go over the life of a project, so we make it as easy as possible to maintain progress even if the key decision-makers change. We work methodically around your availability and maintain clarity by documenting each key stage and approval.
About the author: Hames Sharley director; James Edwards, has a passion for design, and a deep knowledge of the tertiary and research project sectors. He has been responsible for the award-winning Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research, and the groundbreaking Biomedical Research Facility for the University of Western Australia.