Emergency Services Sector Headquarters Precinct
- Axiom Properties Pty Ltd
- Adelaide, South Australia
- + Security and access control
+ Green Star 5 Star Design & As Built
+ Green Star 5 Star Interiors
+ NABERS 5 Star Base Building Energy Rating
+ NABERS 4 Star Water Base Building Rating
The Emergency Services Sector Headquarters is a uniquely designed IL4 command centre that combines and improves responses to crisis situations by improving the functionality, capability, and ultimately the integration of the four critical agencies. The new centre allows the CFS, MFS, SES and Safecom to occupy a single new fit-for-purpose facility. They function independently in standard daily operations, however they are able to operate collectively within disaster management scenarios. Centrally located with easy access to major roadways, the design allows for future expansion and growth.
Featuring IL4 zones on all floors, the design aims to protect personnel, data flow and communication channels. As a challenging and unique project, Hames Sharley procured a specialist consulting team with distinct IL4 experience and managed a tight and fixed timeframe and the needs of four independent end-user groups.
The facility is specifically designed to meet the needs of the Emergency Services Sector, with a focus on post-disaster operation. The building is detailed with in-situ shear elements that are arranged to minimise drift, torsion and impact on the functional space. Non-structural parts and components critical to post-disaster operations and access are laterally restrained so that after a one-in-500-year earthquake event the building remains operational.
- A concrete roof provides robustness and the capacity to resist high winds and rain.
- A concrete building frame provides inherent resistance to fire and minimal maintenance requirements over its serviceable life.
- A piled footing system limits settlement and rotation of walls during an earthquake to limit drift.
- An engaged raft footing system limits movement due to heave and limits joints.
The robust and resilient design provides the disaster management precinct for the four critical agencies the ability to remain operational within island mode for 48 hours.